Tuesday, June 17, 2008

2 days...

Wow - 2 days! But, could be up to 16 - my doc says we'll talk about inducing at 42 weeks. So, this daily update may continue for awhile! I did do my water aerobics today, and am off to a massage in an hour...maybe that will get things progressing!!

Yesterday my friends Kathryn and Amber commented about having their children around the full moon. According to the Farmer's Almanac the next full moon is tomorrow - June 18! We'll see if that prediction runs true for us...

I did find an article to substantiate this, but most of the scientific studies state that this is mostly it is an old wives tale. Here is the article's reasoning:
The theory is that the moon's gravitational pull effects the amniotic fluid in much the same way as it effects the water in the sea, rivers and even the water that's otherwise found in our bodies.

As a woman's body prepares for natural childbirth, the amniotic sac becomes distended so the point where it will easily burst if put under pressure. Under normal circumstances, the pressure of labor contractions bursts the sac. During a full moon, the pressure caused by the moon's effect on the water inside the sac can cause the same things to happen, but without the accompanying contractions.

Well, if I do go into labor, I'll try to have Ry post something here. Otherwise, if I'm not posting, you know what I'm doing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates, Alexis! I'm watching your blog eagerly from New Mexico and can't wait for news about your twins...err, I mean 10-lb baby...I mean... :) Please be assured of my prayers.