Friday, April 18, 2008

got the GD...

Well, looks like it is confirmed that I have Gestational Diabetes. They test you for this around your 28th week of pregnancy.

According to the American Diabetes Association:
Pregnant women who have never had diabetes before but who have high blood sugar (glucose) levels during pregnancy are said to have gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes affects about 4% of all pregnant women - about 135,000 cases of gestational diabetes in the United States each year.

We don't know what causes gestational diabetes, but we have some clues. The placenta supports the baby as it grows. Hormones from the placenta help the baby develop. But these hormones also block the action of the mother's insulin in her body. This problem is called insulin resistance. Insulin resistance makes it hard for the mother's body to use insulin. She may need up to three times as much insulin.

Gestational diabetes starts when your body is not able to make and use all the insulin it needs for pregnancy. Without enough insulin, glucose cannot leave the blood and be changed to energy. Glucose builds up in the blood to high levels. This is called hyperglycemia.


Luckily, my levels weren't too high, so it looks like I may be able to deal with this through diet. I do have to check my levels 4 times a day with this handy device.

As well as document what I eat, I have to eat 6 smaller meals (what my doc has been telling me all along), and limit my carbs. My wonderful husband is doing this with me - so hopefully we will both be healthier for the process. If this is what I need to do to have a healthy baby, I can do it!

We are also off to Big D this weekend for my first baby shower! Soooo excited to see my friends and family up there!

PS - Thanks for all the suggestions, comments and prayers! We really appreciate it!

2 comments:

FloridaWife said...

Well, not good having GD, but at least we live in a time where they test for this regularly so that you know that you have it, can do something about it, and avoid hardship from uncontrolled GD. At least the good news is that you will be able to control it through diet! That's so wonderful.

Have a great time at your shower!!!!

Kristen said...

Hang in there! I didn't have GD...I had hypogylycemia with Gloria which causes basically the same symptoms. I felt absolutely icky eating any sugary stuff, especially without protein to balance it. It was crazy! I am really enjoying my post-partum desserts!;-)